2013 almost pass by, and I’m glad that I had privileged to read some of the great books in this year, some of them I bought in local bookstores, some from ebook, and some I got from friends and family.
And now it’s time to pick the best 10 books from all those books that I really like most, and here they are…… (drum rolls)
- Antifragile by Nassim Taleb, this is the most anticipated book of the year, what can I say ? Nassim “The Black Swan” Taleb is a great philosopher and free-thinker, this book is very difficult to summarize, yet some of the ideas are very genuine, I found myself hate and love this book very much
- Madilog by Tan Malaka, I already read this book years ago, then I got the ebook and still this book is very relevant until now, Tan Malaka is our founding father, a revolutionist, a philosopher, a pure genius who took some revolutionary paths for the independence of our country.
- Max Havelaar by Multatuli , aka. Eduart Dowes Dekker. Although I didn’t enjoy reading this book since Multatuli’s writing style was very bad, still this book had the most heartbreaking and touching story about the dutch colonization during 19th century, this book was a revolutionary one that inspired many great people in my country to lead the revolutionary path with using non-physical struggle.
- How the World Works by Noam Chomsky, a great book to learn how the world really works, why some country can lead others while some poor countries get poorer than before. Nevertheless, Noam Chomsky is a brilliant thinker.
- Why Nation Fail by Acemoglu and Robinson, an interesting book that revealing why some nations can be prosperous while some other nations fail to grasp their glorify moment, I love how they took historical evidence from the Roman Empire, the Mayan city-states, medieval Venice, the Soviet Union, Latin America, England, Europe, the United States, and Africa to build a new theory of political economy, it’s really fun to learn some great lesson from our past.
- The Litigator, by John Grisham, I think this is one of the best book from Grisham, it has dark comedy about the courtroom drama, I was hoping there will be a movie from this book soon.
- Big Short by Michael Lewis, ooh yeah, the book about some people doing shorting during the fall of wall street in 2008, since Liar’s Poker, Michael Lewis is one of my favorite author.
- Ghost in the Wires by Kevin Mitnick, after reading his previous book ; the art of deception, a friend gave me this ebook and it was really entertaining ! and I wonder if they already made a movie from this book ?
- Quiet by Susan Cain, as an introvert I can say this book is very relevant for me, and I don’t mind being an introvert and a weirdo, as long as I know how to deal with others without hurting myself.
- David and Goliath by Gladwell, after the Tipping Point, Blink and Outliers, again Gladwell surprised us by conveying how the weak can conquer the strong, I think this book could be one of his great book ever.
so those are my best ten books in this year, and still I re-read some books that I love very much, they are : How to win friends by Carnegie, and 7 Habits by Covey. I keep them as a ebook, so I can read them everytime I want.
And for the next year, I already have some “Wish List” books, and they are :
- “S” by J.J. Abrams
- any books by Sutan Sjahrir, Tan Malaka and Hatta.
- any books by Michael Lewis, Nassim Taleb, Grisham and Gladwell
so that’s all from my collection of books, I hope I can read more great books in the year of 2014 🙂
happy reading !